I recently had a follower ask me on twitter if i had seen an anti-Peta blog post claiming that Peta kills tens of thousands of unwanted pets per year (posted at the bottom of the page). I decided to prepare this post.
As far as i can gather from reading a bunch of online reports, news articles, blog posts and message boards Peta have, in the past, euthanised stray and unwanted cats and dogs. Peta has posted a blog entry entitled ‘Why we Euthanise’ which you can read in full here. according to them many of the animals put to sleep were unadoptable due to being so mistreated they can not safely interact with people or were extremely mistreated/ill and were too far gone to be able to be nursed back to health (see some of the images from Peta blog below). They also believe that when there are too many animals coming in and not enough being adopted out that there aren’t many other options besides keeping them caged, not dissimilar to some factory farming conditions. So it seems, perhaps to Peta, that Euthanasia is a ‘lesser of two evils’.
Now i also did a little research into the people behind www.petakillsanimals.com, the website/organisation responsible for the accusations (whether true or false) against Peta. I took the following quote from www.care2.com
“This campaign is the work of the deceitfully named Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF), a front group for Philip Morris, Outback Steakhouse, KFC, cattle ranchers, and other animal exploiters who kill millions of animals every year—not out of compassion but out of greed. These companies are worried about the strides that PETA is making that are changing their industries and compelling them to take animal welfare concerns seriously, so they hope to scare people away from caring about animals by spending millions on ads like this. To learn more about CCF—whose website USA Today said should be renamed “FatforProfit.com”—please see the following websites:
I have supported some of Peta’s campaigns in the past, and may continue to do so in the future. The majority of their overall message is a positive one. Peta’s websites and information helped me make the transition from omnivore to vegetarian and then to vegan. I still look to their websites for information on where i can buy vegan products, clothing, food and their lists of who does and does not test on animals constantly help me with my vegan lifestyle.
In my opinion the whole point of choosing a Vegan (& in some cases Vegetarian) lifestyle is to show compassion for living creatures, maintain health without relying on unneccessary cruelty and to improve our environment. There is not really such a thing as a true vegan, someone who never harms anything, intentional or not. The closest one can really get to being a true vegan is by living on a self sustaining farm eating your own grown fruit and vegetables and this just isn’t a realistic option for most people. Just by driving a car I’ve killed birds & insects, contributed to pollution etc, but I and other vegans do what we can to counteract this by avoiding as much unnecessary cruelty and death in day to day life.
Make up your own mind and try to live positively.
The original post which was brought to my attention below:
Always reblog this. A lot of the animals they kill (and they kill over 95% of the animals they take in at their Virginia Headquarters) are killed within 24 hours. Not nearly enough time to deem whether an animal is adoptable or not. They even bought a giant fridge to store the corpses!
PETA is a corporation. Not a charity. Less than 1% of their 32 Million+ annual budget actually goes to directly helping animals. Most of it is spent making sexist/racist/ domestic abuse supporting commercials that won’t even air on television, giving bail outs to convicted arsonists and criminals, hiring/supporting any celebrity that claims to be vegetarian for five minutes, creating campaigns to target children (“Your mom kills animals”), fruitless lawsuits like suing Sea World for violating the constitution, and most recently, making porn. I’m not against porn, but I fail to see how it fucking helps animals.
PETA does not give a shit about animals.
quotes and information taken from:
- do-more-of-what-make-you-happy likes this
- iseeyourfaceinthesky likes this
- mythicalblyth reblogged this from veganhighheeler
- veganhauswife reblogged this from veganhighheeler
- faeryteahouse likes this
- veganhighheeler reblogged this from jonaweinhofen and added:
- naposaur likes this
- marisolsteph reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- mattscurrywashere reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- se7enhillswekeepwithin likes this
- altairbutts reblogged this from jonaweinhofen and added:
- sleepinginlimousines reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- thosewordsresoundinmyhead reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- owlverlord likes this
- kayje reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- itshaleybrown reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- xarsenicxkissx reblogged this from jonaweinhofen and added:
- thisriddleofrevenge reblogged this from malindavidsson
- brandxqc reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- jousirock reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- elizanoh likes this
- blackvelvet said: I think most people criticise peta without understanding. No-one has ever done so much to help animals as peta. If people were in peta’s shoes & had so many animals & no way of rehoming them they may realise how hard it is. Keep supporting peta!
- collidinggalaxies likes this
- iamelska reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- pdionisia likes this
- mordorisforlovers likes this
- inanimus reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- malindavidsson reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- aspirecarlile reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- covetxvx likes this
- morebearcore reblogged this from jonaweinhofen and added:
- rhonniemacrae likes this
- trishtalkstotrish likes this
- ontothehorizon likes this
- hideousfox reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- hideousfox likes this
- shinigamibunnyworld reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- milajustalone reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- wfkm3 reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- foxindaroom likes this
- justislandliving likes this
- veganeyes likes this
- frankierosdick likes this
- franzik reblogged this from jonaweinhofen
- jonnoxvxrevanche likes this
- katastrofeen likes this
- n0tmycupoftea likes this
- fuckthehipsters likes this
- fleshtildeath said: Wow dude, thanks for this post. A lot of people (myself included) would not even bother to look at the credentials behind petakillsanimals.com; we’d just assume it was true without taking Peta’s defense in account. Again, thanks for this post!